What is Cryotherapy?
If you have watched TV or been on the Internet lately, you probably have seen a celebrity in professional athlete stepping into a freezing cold booth and bragging about how amazing they feel. It’s been featured on ESPN, Dr. Oz, The Doctors, Kelly and Michael and even The Real Housewives. Top level athletes like Kobe are turning to it for quick work out recovery and pain relief.
Celebrities are using it for energy, weight loss and even rejuvenating the body.
Whole body cryotherapy involves stepping into a cryosauna which is chilled with liquid nitrogen to over -265 degrees for up to three minutes. The person in the chamber wears gloves, socks, clogs and underwear. The intense cold causes the surface of the body to drop up to 30 degrees in temperature, triggering some significant health benefits.
What does the Cold Exposure Do?
The quick intense cold exposure has been shown to have several benefits including:
- Pain Relief
- Whole Body Rejuvenation
- Rapid Workout Recovery
- Increasing Caloric Burn (Up to 800 Calories per session!)
- Improvement in Mood and Increased Emotional Health
Please see the links to studies below.
What can Cryotherapy be Used to Treat?
Whole body cryotherapy is an amazing treatment for workout recovery and pain management, but is also effective for the following conditions:
- Chronic and Acute Inflammatory Disorders
- Autoimmune disorders
- Weight Issues
- Anxiety and Depression
Bringing Whole Body Cryotherapy to Baltimore
History of Whole Body Cryotherapy
Two years before we opened Charm City Integrative Health, we were researching therapies that would compliment our current services. Cryotherapy quickly became the first treatment we wanted to add to our new space. Cryotherapy was first invented in Japan in the 1970’s as a method to treat rheumatoid arthritis. The treatment offered significant relief without drugs and was quick to spread throughout Europe.
In the last few years,it’s popularity in the US has rapidly grown in the US. Previously only professional athletes and celebrities could afford services. Most cryo- sauna clinics opened in areas like LA and NY making it difficult for people in other areas to get continued treatment. We noticed that there was a significant void in therapies that help reduce inflammation and increase circulation not only in Baltimore, but Maryland as a whole.
Cryotherapy is the cornerstone of the selection of therapies that we are adding to our Baltimore clinic to help people feel better naturally.
Cryotherapy and the effects on the body
- The intense quick cold exposure quickly constricts muscles, connective tissue and blood vessels. It is similar to wringing out a sponge, inflammation in the tissue is forced out and when you come out there is a rebound vasodilation effect, this means that all the blood vessels open up wide to allow for the tissue to be bathed with nutrients and oxygen drastically reducing pain, improving mobility, speeding healing and reducing recovery time post workout.
- While your body rushes to heat itself back up to 98.6, it burns a tremendous amount of calories, on average 400-800 calories per 3 minute session!
- With the increase circulation and blood flow fresh collagen is produced, giving people a more youthful, rejuvenated appearance
- The intense cold also produces a huge endorphin rush making people feel great within minutes of leaving the chamber. There is also evidence that this treatment helps reduce the severity of both depression and anxiety.
Links to studies
- Thermal, Circulatory and Neuromuscular Responses to Whole Body Cryotherapy
- Whole-body Cryotherapy as an adjunct treatment of anxiety and depressive disorders
- Effects of the whole-body cryotherapy on a total antioxidative
status and activities of some antioxidative
enzymes in blood of patients with multiple sclerosis preliminary
- Rehabilitation in rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing
- spondylitis: differences and similarities
For maximum effect cryotherapy should be done in a series. We have a wide variety of treatment packages to meet your needs. Please consult with us about what you are trying to accomplish and we can give you advice on which plan is best for you. We allow you to upgrade any whole body cryotherapy plan so if you decide you want more, you can pay the difference and continue treatment.
Here’s a link to our plans and pricing.
Powered by Appointment-Plus